10 Steps to Finding your Dream Dress
You have locked down your venue, perhaps booked a few other vendors, and have been stalking Pinterest for months. Now is the time to find the dress! To some brides, this is the most exciting part of the planning process so far, and to others, it can be more of a challenge. No fear, these few helpful hints will help make the process easier!
1 . Ensure your venue is booked. We can’t say this enough. The dress should always compliment the location. The last thing you want to be doing at your beach wedding is lugging along a Cinderella-style dress through the sand. The venue sets the entire stage for the day - make sure your dress is able to flow smoothly with the theme.
2. Have a Budget. Some brides may have a looser budget than others, but having a number in mind certainly helps. This way, when the consultant asks you what you are looking for, they will steer you clear of the dresses above your budget. And yes, we know, some of those couture dresses are to die for, but there are a lot of ways to work around your budget. Accessories can really make any dress look couture!
3. Go in with an open mind. We know you have the dream dress in your head. You may even have the exact dress picked that you want. Once you get to your appointments, be open to alternatives. Sometimes “the one” can end up being a dress you never thought to try on. Another helpful hint here is to not schedule your appointments late in the day. Try and go bright and early - you will be feeling your best, and the staff at local boutiques will be excited for a new day!
4. Carefully select your audience for the day. It can be a challenge making this choice, but know you have to feel comfortable. Everyone will come with an opinion - and you have to be ready for that, but choose people who will be encouraging and optimistic. This can be a long process, so patience is another key factor to look for in the individuals coming. Some brides choose to only take their mother, or a close bridesmaid, while others have the whole family come for the outing. Do what feels right for you.
5. Try on lots, but not too much. As the saying goes, “you will know it’s the right one as soon as you try it on.” Perhaps the first one you try on won’t be the winner, and that’s ok! Don’t get discouraged. Keep trying them on - even humour your Mother by trying on her pick! Don’t try and stop at every boutique in town in one day, it will drain you. Take it slow - this process may take a few weeks or even months.
5. Bring your accessories. Now, for some, the accessories will come later, but some brides pick out their shoes or jewelry before the dress. If that is the case, make sure you bring the accessories with you to ensure they compliment your dress.
6. Ask lots of questions. That’s what the consultant is there for! They know each dress in the shop, and can provide valuable insight and feedback to make the process a lot easier. The consultant is the expert, and your best ally when it comes to picking the right dress.
7. Timeless over Trendy. When you look back at your wedding dress twenty years later, make sure you love it just as much as you did the day of the wedding. Trends in bridal couture are ever-changing - stick to what feels best, and makes you feel incredible!
8. Buy a dress that fits you now. Brides sometimes hymn and haw over losing a few extra pounds before the big day, but the biggest mistake a bride can make is to buy the dress too small. Buy a dress that fits perfectly now - alterations can always happen afterward, so don’t stress!
9. Be honest and true. Be true to your genuine self. This is a day that showcases you! You don’t have to put on the big ball gown if you don’t feel comfortable. You also don’t have to follow the latest trend, like a gouging neckline, just because it is “popular.” Make sure this choice is yours.
10. Have some fun! Pop some bubbly, celebrate the day! This is a special moment that should be remembered. Don’t be too hard on yourself - you are going to look beautiful no matter which dress you choose. Just remember to enjoy the moment and say yes to the dress of your dreams.
We hope these tips are helpful as you venture out to find your dream dress! Be sure to remember to enjoy the entire experience!