When I first spotted Stefanie across the coffee shop, I knew instantly that not only was she going to be one of the sweetest people, but that her passion for her work was radiating. As the owner of The Bourbon Rose - Floral Design Co., Stefanie brings to life some of the most breathtaking floral arrangements I have ever seen. Her romantic and whimsical floral look has captured the attention and hearts of everyone she has catered to. She was happy to open up to us about what inspires her, and how she continues to grow her business.
The Quick Details
- Full Name: Stefanie Bezaire
- Years in the Business: “I’ve been working in Event Design & Florals for the past five years,” she says, but it was not until a year and a half ago that she opened the doors to The Bourbon Rose.
- Current Favourite Trend in Florals: “My “Garden Style” sensibility works great right now as that is a major trend in wedding flowers. Lush greens and garden roses are my favourite and they are getting so much attention at the moment. It’s a very exciting time in floral design!” Stef explains
How it all Began
With a background in Fashion Design, and ample experience working with florals in Toronto, alongside Jessica McEwan of Periwinkle Flowers, design and creativity are evidently flowing through Stef’s veins. “I worked for many years in other design industries - fashion, industrial design, and home decor - that what I came across floral design, I think it combined all the things I love about design but in a way that made more sense to me. I get to create beautiful things everyday, be surrounded by beauty, where each day is different and just as lovely as the last – it’s an undeniably wonderful job!”
Taking the Leap
After living in Toronto for fifteen years, it was time for Stef and her husband to move back home to Windsor, and was unsure what her next step would be. After talking to a few industry professionals, and learning of the need for modern wedding and event floral options, it was the perfect fit. The rest is history - Stef jumped in full time, and began creating fresh and unique floral designs!
“Seeing the happy faces of my clients when I drop off their gorgeous flowers is such a satisfying feeling,” Stef describes. She goes on to say how much joy it brings her to see others enjoy her creations, because it brings her such joy creating them.
Working with Couples
Each wedding is so different, and each couple comes in with new and fresh ideas which allows for Stef’s imagination to wander! “Working together with the Brides to give them something unique and beautiful is a fantastic perk of the job. I’m inspired everyday and I love that!” she says. She continues by explaining how organized couples who come with images and a general plan of what they are looking for, makes the process very easy! Another good idea she suggests, is to come prepared with a budget for florals, and any other must-haves for the Big Day, such as style, size, shape or quantity.
Stefanie also loves to work on other projects as well - baby showers, engagement parties, and holiday decor keep her busy as well. Nothing spruces up an event quite like fresh florals!
A Few of Her Favourite Things
- Colours: “Really, I love all colour combinations, but what really has me excited at the moment is a mix of white with pale blue, peach, and yellow. I think these muted tones are going to be a big trend this year. When mixed with the bright green of the Pantone colour of the year “Greenery” it's sort of an amazing combination. I’m hoping to do an inspiration shoot soon too to showcase this palette!”
- Inspiration: She explains how it comes from all around, but continues on by saying, “I do think my background in fashion design is a huge benefit when it comes to my floral design. I take into consideration the shape, colour, size of the arrangements as well as how it will look with the wedding attire. When someone shows me the dress for their wedding, I instantly know what types of flowers I want to use for their big day.”
When Stef is taking a break from smelling the roses, along with all the other lovely smells filling her studio, she is enjoying a film with a glass of wine, alongside her husband. Cheers to You Stef, for freshening up the floral scene here in Windsor-Essex County, and proving that if you set your mind to something like opening your own business, success is soon to follow! Be sure to check her out on Instagram, Facebook, and on her website.
All Photography Courtesy of Eryn Shea Photography